SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The UX designer is responsible for driving development and design of the digital interfaces for both Starlink and SpaceX including both external and internal websites, related templates and the Starlink app. They will work with both internal and external resources to create the best possible user experience for both our customers and our fan base across SpaceX and Starlink platforms.
The UX designer will leverage their experience building digital interfaces to ensure the highest quality end product for our users. This role is expected to be a hands-on designer with a bias for testing, iterating and incorporating feedback to enhance the user experience. They will take the initiative to identify design needs across the organization as well as executing on the solutions. They are expected to be very collaborative, working closely with our engineering teams to develop an intimate understanding of SpaceX’s products and services in order to deliver the appropriate design solution.
SpaceX is one of the most exciting brands on Earth and is bringing revolutionary changes to the space industry. A dynamic, entrepreneurial UX designer will be a key part of our team.
- Develop wireframes, screen flows and storyboards-based business needs and user feedback
- Continuously analyze user activity and feedback to make design improvements and enhance the user experience
- Introduce best practices based on past experience for information architectures that best support the needs of our customers and fan base
- Develop prototypes as a means of soliciting feedback from internal stakeholders and sharing best practices
- Work independently on strategic issues with internal clients, managing fairly complex projects
- Bachelor's degree
- 2+ years of experience in interactive design
- Experience shipping applications to market
- Experience with high-fidelity mockup tools such as Figma and Adobe XD
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in creative design
- Experience shipping robust applications to market and incorporating user data into future iterations
- Exceptional portfolio with strong visual design
- Experience designing refined, thoughtful, and intuitive mobile experiences
- Familiarity with iOS and Android human interface guidelines, and mobile design patterns
- Experience with interactive animation in a mobile app context
- Understanding and experience with 3D design patterns
- Demonstrated experience delivering world-class mobile application designs
- Strong understanding of web application and interactive design
- Experience in an environment with a bias for testing and iterating quickly in place of extensive research
- Highly organized with exceptional communication skills
- Strong understanding of and experience in corporate branding, layout, and color theory
- Expert in current graphic design practices and tools, such as Figma, Adobe XD, and related tooling
- Understanding of user testing and human-centric design patterns
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
- This is not a remote position and will require relocation if not already local to the Hawthorne, CA area
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
UX Designer: $90,000.00 - $110,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.