Supervisor, Starship Heat Shield - 3rd Shift
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SUPERVISOR, STARSHIP HEAT SHIELD
The Thermal Protection Systems (TPS) team tackles Space Exploration’s toughest problems by developing the heat shields for our next generation rockets and spacecraft. This hardware must survive the most extreme environments known to mankind and protect our vehicle through atmospheric entry. The Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of operators, fabricators, and technicians building the ceramic heat shield tiles for Starship. The Supervisor must drive progress on an hour-by-hour and day-by-day basis. The Supervisor of the team will take technical direction from the Engineering team and execute those directions by building, retaining, and managing their team effectively; distributing labor resources, prioritizing certain aspects of the build, and setting headcount requirements where necessary.
The Supervisor is also a key enabler to a successful, productive, highly effective culture of responsibility and accountability with a large emphasis on individual improvement. For this role specifically, it is highly important that the Supervisor is an inspiring leader, often-times working side by side with their build team to execute on the mission to bring the capability of flying astronauts back to the United States.
- Supervise shop floor activity, including daily schedules and workflow.
- Lead and manage a staff of ~20 technicians including all performance management related tasks.
- Continuously improve process and manpower efficiency, utilization and productivity.
- Review work instructions and make change recommendations when needed to engineering and the shop floor.
- Responsible for assessing & vetting the appropriate skillset needed.
- Identify training needs and develop training programs to meet present and future mission needs.
- Provide required data & reporting to support departmental metrics and improvement objectives.
- Monitor labor hours and overtime, and implement improvement plans and time management with staff.
- Accomplish production results by communicating job expectations; plan, monitor, and appraise job results.
- Effectively organize, assign and track work/deliverables for the team, ensuring seamless progression through multi-shift work schedules.
- Initiate and foster a spirit of cooperation within and between departments.
- Ensure product quality and conformance to specifications.
- Maintain tooling and consumable supply inventory.
- Improve area safety and efficiency through regular auditing and continuous improvement.
- Bachelor's degree or 8+ years of experience in final assembly production: aviation, aerospace, mechanical systems.
- 2+ years of experience in a leading a team or a project
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- SpaceX experience.
- 10 years of experience in final assembly and production in a fast paced aerospace manufacturing environment.
- Experience bringing teams and processes from development to production.
- Familiarity with Design for Manufacturability, Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, and Failure Mode Effects Analysis.
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with Engineering and Production.
- Able to adapt to constant changing work assignments and fast paced work environment.
- Excellent concentration and attention to detail with outstanding work efficiency and accuracy.
- Prior leadership experience either military or aerospace industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours min.
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed. Hours for this role is tentatively between the hours of 5 pm to 3 am.
- Must be able to travel for short and extended trips as needed (up to 25%).
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Supervisor: $105,000.00 - $135,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.