Thermal Engineer, Analysis (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
THERMAL ENGINEER, ANALYSIS (STARLINK)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 1M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
As a thermal engineer, you are responsible of the thermal design, test and validation of Starlink satellite hardware. You will make engineering decisions to improve the vehicle and increase the performance of the Starlink network.
- Thermal design of satellite components, from initial high-level analysis down to validation of performance with ground tests and orbital data
- Automate workflow to reduce engineering investment in the design cycle
- Pursue performance/robustness improvements
- Pursue operational simplicity and seek to reduce burden on other groups at SpaceX
- Produce quality documentation of your work to reduce miss-rate and improve efficiency
- Review peer work
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience using scientific programming languages
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with Thermal Desktop and ANSYS Workbench
- Experience with 3D and reduced order thermal modeling
- Ability to identify sizing cases and quickly evaluate the impact of design decisions
- Working knowledge of scripting languages
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to deliver against an aggressive schedule
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Thermal Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Thermal Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.