Apprentice Test Operations Technician (Falcon Test)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
APPRENTICE TEST OPERATIONS TECHNICIAN (FALCON TEST)
Test Technicians get to assemble, troubleshoot, repair, and perform regular maintenance and work on integrated rocket hardware, including fuel tanks and integrated stages, as well as supporting test equipment. These technicians enjoy working outside at the rocket development facility, on our robust test stands, supporting test operations first-hand, as well as in the hangar where stage integration takes place. Test Technicians enjoy witnessing the rumbling of rocket engines throughout the day.
- Prepare test articles, test stands, and systems for test operations
- Ensure all test stand related equipment, systems, and servicing are performed on time, safely, and in a professional manner
- Perform post-test operations and inspections to ensure a flight worthy vehicle
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair equipment and instrumentation as needed
- Fabricate, repair, and assemble hardware/equipment needed for test operations
- Collaborate with engineers to develop and document activities
- Ensure all components and materials are clean and inspected according to Clean for Oxygen Service Standards
- Operate and maintain hardware, high pressure systems and pumps, and other ancillary equipment including pneumatic components
- Obtain and maintain licenses, operator permits or certifications as required
- Monitor and maintain a reasonable inventory of cryogenic equipment, pneumatic equipment, fittings, hoses, and other supplies necessary to perform test operations
- Acquire proper inventory parts and equipment needed for repair or replacement defective components
- Process work orders and maintenance tickets
- Perform a variety of related duties in support of stage testing, as well as testing site wide, as needed
- Develop novel ways site wide to streamline processes and increase the reliability of testing operations
- Associate's degree related to Airframe and Powerplant
- Experience working with and troubleshooting mechanical systems, high pressure fluid/pneumatic systems, or heavy equipment (experience from college program counts)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate degree in an engineering, technical, or mechanical field
- A&P license
- Experience in airframe structural repair
- Experience in aviation electronics and avionics
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) certification or training
- Experience with testing process and optimization of test processes
- Experience with hydraulic plumbing repair/fabrication
- Experience in ground support equipment in aerospace industry
- Experience in the space exploration industry, aviation, military or other high-reliability operating environment
- Basic computer skills, including experience using Microsoft Office and photo generation/compilation
- Experience with crane and lift operations
- Knowledge of vacuum systems
- Knowledge of all types of bore scope inspection equipment
- Knowledge of different fittings such as NPT, MS, and A/N and Swagelok
- A demonstrated ability in reading/understanding technical manuals and reports
- Ability to read, and understand operating system schematics and drawings
- Use of precision measuring instruments/equipment
- Communication skills for relaying data (verbally and in-writing) between other employees and customers
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Valid driver’s license
- Flight hardware typically is built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is necessary to perform job functions
- The ability to lift heavy objects is required in this position (up to 25lbs unassisted)
- Must be able to work at elevated heights (up to 300 feet) with proper PPE
- Must be able to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain, etc.
- Must be able to work in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be available to work overtime and weekends as needed based on site priority; flexibility required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Test Operations Technician/Level 1: $18.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.