Tooling Machinist - Level 4/5
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TOOLING MACHINIST - LEVEL 4/5
- Set up and operate lathe and mill machines
- Complete machining operations from blueprints, drawings, and/or verbal instructions
- Machine precision parts, fixtures, and tools from drawings in accordance with established procedures with limited supervision
- Plan machining by studying work orders, blueprints, and engineering plans
- Import and export CAD files, materials, applicable specifications, orthographic drawings, reference planes, locations of surfaces, and machining parameters
- Ensure and interpret geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T), and adhere to international standards
- Verify settings, and inspect parts by measuring first-run part, and sample workpieces
- Maintain specifications by observing drilling, grooving, and cutting including turning, facing, knurling, and thread chasing operations
- Detect malfunctions, and troubleshoot processes; maintain cutting tools, and make necessary adjustments in machine control to meet part specifications
- Maintain safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations
- Review preventive maintenance log to ensure requirements are up-to-date, and follow manufacturer's instructions, troubleshoot malfunctions, and notify supervisor for repairs
- Maintain continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs
- Document pertinent actions on a daily basis using work order system features
- Accomplish organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; explore opportunities to add value to job accomplishments
- Maintain workflow by moving completed work to the next operation center and keeping the manufacturing area clean and safe
- Improve the shop's quality and productivity through addressing machining issues that arise in the manufacturing process
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 8+ years of experience in set up, operation and programming of CNC mill machines
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of experience running lathe machines and horizontal mills
- Experience with CAM programming with Mastercam
- Experience with 5-axis programming
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to read accurately and write clearly, and perform basic arithmetic calculations accurately
- Ability to make the proper tool selection for the application
- Experience in tooling, tooling technology, shop math, blueprint reading and measurement of parts
- Strong mechanical aptitude and interpersonal skills including, but not limited to, contributing to a team-oriented environment, balancing team and individual responsibilities
- Experience with complex, tight tolerance parts and various materials
- Full understanding of all G & M codes and MDI programming
- Must be detail oriented, organized, and demonstrate a high sense of urgency
- Must be able to work all required shift hours, overtime and weekends, as needed
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted, repetitive movement, bending or twisting, using hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools or controls, exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting, exposure to typical shop chemicals (coolant, solvents, cleaners) are generally required to perform the functions of this position
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Tooling Machinist/Level 4: $35.00 - $43.00/hour
Tooling Machinist/Level 5: $40.00 - $50.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.