High Power Electrical Engineer (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today, SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
HIGH POWER ELECTRICAL ENGINEER
The High Power Electrical Power Engineer will be responsible for providing engineering support for the design, installation, operation, and maintenance of all Starbase electrical systems, including the site electrical grid, all production facilities, the Starship launch pad, and onsite residential areas.
- Work in a team environment with other engineering disciplines to provide detailed electrical design and specification for the installation of electrical power equipment and systems.
- Provide engineering support for the design, operation, and troubleshooting of all Starbase production facility electrical components and systems.
- Support the design, build, and operation of all electrical power Starship launch pad systems.
- Coordinate all electrical installations and maintenance activities with electricians and local electrical utilities personnel.
- Ensure all electrical designs and installations conform to applicable codes and regulations
- Ensure that all equipment interfaces properly with other mechanical and electrical systems, including compatibility with facility power budgets
- Provide code review and analysis utilizing NFPA 70E, NFPA 70 NEC, NFPA 497, NFPA 101, Vol 5 & 6 AFSPCMAN 91-710, and IBC
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- 1+ years of professional experience in a similar role working on power distribution systems, switchgear, UPS's, and generators (professional experience, internships, and significant student project experience qualifies)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of years of professional experience in a similar role working on power distribution systems, switchgear, UPS's, and generators
- Ability to read and understand power and control schematics
- Ability to read and understand highly technical equipment operation and maintenance (O&M) manuals
- Experience with variable frequency drives (VFDs) and industrial pumps
- Experience with controls in MODBUS communication
- Experience with medium voltage distribution
- Experience with control panel design and production
- Working knowledge of power coordination and arc flash
- Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently
- High level of self-motivation, with the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and schedule workload
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends as necessary.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Electrical Engineer/Level I: $100,000.00 - $120,000.00/per year
Electrical Engineer/Level II: $115,000.00 - $135,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.