Industrial Gases Technician
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
INDUSTRIAL GASES TECHNICIAN
- Provide ground system technician support, which involves installing, testing, troubleshooting, and maintaining industrial tank farm equipment such as pumps, tanks, valves and plumbing related to the high pressure and low-pressure helium, nitrogen, and argon gas/liquid ground infrastructure, and other aspects of the site facilities
- Understand and supply industrial packaged gases to production and test consumers, be knowledgeable about pressurized components and provide end-users insight on how to properly and safely operate pressurized test systems
- Operate and maintain large, complicated facility gas hardware, high-pressure systems and pumps, and other ancillary pressure equipment including pneumatic systems ranging from vacuum to 20,000psi MEOP
- Collaborate with design/build engineers to understand systems, help influence and execute preventative maintenance plan, and ensure system changes are approved and documented
- Make repairs and additions to pre-existing piping infrastructure, troubleshoot and fix faulty regulators, valves, gauges, and throughout campus
- Obtain and maintain licenses, operator permits or certifications as required
- Follow all necessary regulations and appropriate SpaceX procedures including quality policies, safety policies, OSHA, EPA, NIOSH, NFPA, ASME, NEC, etc. standards
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of experience working in a high functioning manufacturing, logistics, or power and gas role
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's degree or equivalency certificate
- A&P license
- Experience in power and gas, military, aerospace or other high-reliability operating environments
- Experience with ground support equipment in a competitive industry
- Mechanical aptitude and experience (work with machines and general tooling)
- Experience in process piping installation, especially in stainless steel, CPVC, and cryogenic applications
- Experience with high pressure (1,000psi+) gaseous/liquid systems
- General knowledge of pressure fitting types (Compression, JIC, NPT, and MP/HP)
- Demonstrated experience where quick-thinking and problem-solving plays a critical role
- Experience operating equipment with a PLC or machine interface
- Minor acuteness with electrical components, wiring experience a plus
- Ability to utilize power tools and hand tools as well as heavy equipment
- Use of precision measuring instruments (calipers, torque wrenches, gauges)
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical schematics
- Knowledge of hazardous systems – cryogenic, flammable, hypergolic, pyrophoric
- Knowledge of pressure system safety protocol and proper handling
- General physical fitness is required for some work areas, hardware typically is built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Ability to lift heavy objects up to 25 lbs
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Ability to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, and/or rain
- Willing to work in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be willing to work flexible shifts, including overtime and weekends, as required by the business
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Industrial Gases Technician/Level 1: $20.00 - $24.50/hour
Industrial Gases Technician/Level 2: $23.00 - $29.00/hour
Industrial Gases Technician/Level 3: $27.00 - $35.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.