Sr. Supply Chain Engineer (Electrical Engineering)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SUPPLY CHAIN ENGINEER (ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING)
SpaceX demands a new type of supply chain. We require our suppliers to provide premium quality with rapidly evolving designs at increasingly ambitious volumes. We are actively looking for candidates who possess comprehensive knowledge of manufacturing and quality tools and have unrelenting motivation to enable suppliers for success.
This is a highly technical position that requires practical experience with printed circuit boards/printed circuit board assemblies, components/instrumentation or harnessing to promote advanced technologies and break through technical hurdles in our supply base. The ideal candidate will have a broad understanding of avionics with the desire and capability to take on new challenges in unfamiliar areas to help enable our mission to Mars.
- Act as the technical point of contact for our custom part suppliers for Avionics including harnesses, cables and interconnects
- Collaborate with sourcing team to strategically source parts matched with supplier competencies
- Develop and maintain supplier audit system to meet product and business requirements
- Review and assess supplier manufacturing processes and quality system to provide feedback as appropriate on manufacturing methods and technologies
- Function as liaison between purchasing, engineering, manufacturing and suppliers to resolve supplier quality issues and to provide technical support
- Implement and monitor production part approval process (PPAP)
- Analyze supplier quality & delivery metrics to identify trends and pinpoint systemic performance gaps and root causes
- Recommend technical product improvements to reduce risk and potential defect opportunities
- Manage supplier improvement plans
- Improve quality performance of suppliers by conducting workshops at supplier locations, providing technical assistance in developing a quality system, or other technical support as required
- Contribute to design reviews acting as an expert in design for manufacturability, design for testability, yield improvements, supplier capabilities assessments, quality control, etc
- Primary point of contact for avionics engineering on non-conforming product, troubleshooting, root cause, failure investigations and corrective actions
- Lead continuous improvement efforts of established product
- Drive the selection and qualification of high quality interconnect components for current and future SpaceX flight vehicles with engineering
- Perform root-cause evaluation of interconnect component failures and non-conformances, including the assessment, management, mitigation of any associated vehicle risks
- Work with suppliers to resolve manufacturing related issues
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field
- 5+ years of experience in supply chain, manufacturing or engineering
- Experience with harness and/or interconnect fabrication
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical, mechanical, or materials science engineering
- Experience with Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) and Military (MIL-DTL-XXXX, MIL-PRF-XXX, etc.) connector, wire, cable, interconnect and hardware components and corresponding Military Specs
- Experience in design and/or application of connector, cable, wire, hardware, and interconnect components
- 3+ years of experience in quality and/or production of mechanical or electronics hardware systems
- Experience in medium to high volume, high-complexity products and NPI
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes (Production Part Approval Process, Advanced Product Quality Planning, First Article Inspection Reports, etc
- SPC knowledge and experience applying statistical methods to track process capability
- Disciplined approach to problem solving - 8D
- Experience with MRP or ERP systems
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environments within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace, marine or automotive industries
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work long hours and some nights and/or weekends when needed
- Ability to travel - up to 60-75% work week travel may be required, including international travel
- Valid driver’s license
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Supplier Development Engineer/Senior: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.