Facilities Engineer (Construction Projects)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
FACILITIES ENGINEER (CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS)
As a member of the Facilities Infrastructure Team, you will work with engineers across multiple disciplines to design, build, and activate infrastructure that will enable SpaceX to achieve its long-term mission. This team is responsible for the delivery of large capital projects to various internal customer groups across the company. This position is based out of Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, FL. Travel will likely accompany this role, and based on business needs, opportunities to work at other SpaceX facilities may occur in the future.
- Lead internal project team, consulting engineers and contractors throughout the entirety of the MEP engineering, procurement, construction, and commissioning process
- Write, negotiate, and manage scope across multiple disciplines related to mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) engineering
- Develop cost estimates, material requisitions, plans and specifications for assigned projects
- Manage the design, development, and issuance of drawings, documentation, and reports for aerospace, large commercial or industrial type projects
- Resolve design and construction conflicts in the field in real time with multiple parties (internal and external)
- Manage planning, coordinating and executing various construction projects simultaneously
- Prepare and coordinate capital expenditure process; including reviews, approvals and execution of site capital projects ensuring technical specifications, budget and deadlines are met
- Accountable for accurate budgeting and cost forecasting on a wide range of multi discipline projects
- Oversee project schedule accuracy and milestone reporting to engineers, contractors, fabricators, and project stakeholders
- Work with the AHJ to acquire building permits when appropriate, and ensure all certificates and final inspections have been obtained prior to project close out
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or other engineering discipline
- 3+ years of professional experience with the design or build of MEP building systems
- Experience with AutoCAD, Revit, or similar design software
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Direct field experience with day to day management of aerospace, heavy industrial or large commercial construction projects
- Experience in conceptual design and budgeting
- Experience in contract management for large capital projects
- Experience in managing the engineering, procurement, and construction process for aerospace or heavy industrial-type projects
- Primary experience with electrical and power distribution systems (<600Vac)
- Knowledge of HVAC operation and design principles including refrigeration, chillers, boilers, and air-handling equipment
- Experience with plumbing design and operation including domestic water, wastewater, venting, and storm systems
- Working knowledge of delta/wye transformers, building lighting, building construction specifications, and facility grounding
- Experience with critical power infrastructure including UPS systems, backup generators, and automatic transfer switches
- Experience creating and implementing process/design solutions with minimal impact to business operations
- Able to quickly assess an issue and assist technicians with troubleshooting and repair
- Ability to work in a high-concentration, high-stress environment, under possible extended work hours and tight deadlines
- Acute attention to detail, ability to see interactions with other systems to avoid problems
- Familiarity with National Electric Code, ASHRAE, National Fire Protection Association, and International Building Code
- Ability to pass Space Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- Perform hands-on work in all environments (heat, cold, rain), in tight quarters or at heights
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Remain focused while working in hazardous environments, while wearing appropriate PPE
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs unassisted
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Facilities Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Facilities Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.