Manager, Materials Management - West Campus Hub
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANAGER, MATERIALS MANAGEMENT – WEST CAMPUS HUB
The Materials Management team is a critical element of the Supply Chain organization and is responsible for supplying the materials needed to manufacture SpaceX’s rockets and spacecraft. Our goal is to become a leader in inventory accuracy and material flow efficiency. The Manager will provide extreme ownership of all aspects of material flow, working to exceed customer expectations by leading continuous improvement and execution of inventory activities within their network.
- Perform administrative duties, including but not limited to: project implementation and oversight, periodic reviews with team members, one-on-one mentoring, personnel training, customer alignment, system compliance, supply ordering, and area upkeep
- Support and maintain data driven goals and objectives for receipt, stow, pick, pack, and final mile delivery to work centers within their network
- Strategy – Understand the processes, procedures, and needs of the business to develop strategy, business metrics, and goals to successfully guide execution
- Leadership – Manage a multi-level deep organization, consisting of both hourly and salary individuals across 5 different shift patterns that support operations 24 hours per day and 7 days per week; assess employee performance, reward awesome work, provide constructive feedback, facilitate conflict resolution, address repeat issues with corrective actions, develop performance improvement plans, and execute disciplinary actions when necessary
- Role Model – Lead by setting an example, taking feedback from all levels of the organization, and motivating your organization to achieve the highest level of results
- Safety – Monitor and improve operations, ensuring a safe work environment – with the goal of zero OSHA recordables annually
- Quality – Ensure business practices not only guarantee the storing of product in a compliant manner, but also meet those needs outlined in AS9100 and customer flow-down requirements
- Inventory Management – Manage the incoming acceptance, storing and issuing of a wide variety of materials, tooling, and customer property into inventory
- Customer Service – Manage operations that provide industry leading levels of customer service in all operations: recognizing the needs of the business and adapting to support our mission
- Cost – Lead cost saving opportunities, identifying internal/external cost reductions and optimization opportunities
- Inventory Accuracy – Maintain process control and routine counting required to meet both our internal and external audit requirements
- Process Improvement – Drive the projects and changes needed to improve efficiency, while operating within a highly dynamic and ever-improving environment
- Shelf Life - Monitor shelf-life storage and maintain proper rotation of stock via FIFO compliance
- Environmental Controls – Ensure the appropriate environmental controls are in place and material requirements maintained
- Mentorship – Actively monitor and grow the workforce, ensuring team members are challenged and performing at the expected standards; work to develop methods of motivation for team members to go above and beyond the status quo
- Adaptability – As SpaceX continues to innovate and pave the way for future development, this manager needs to be able to adapt his/her business to the ever-changing needs of the organization
- Advanced degree and 3+ years of experience working in one or more of the following; or bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience working in one or more of the following; or 9+ years of experience working in one or more of the following:
- Material or production planning
- Operations or Supply Chain Management
- Material cost control
- Project Management
- Master production scheduling
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, supply chain, or related field
- Organized and self-driven, capable of working independently with little direction
- APICS certification – CPIM or CSCP desired
- Excellent communication and team-building skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced /cross-functional environment while maintaining on-time project completion, deal with a wide variety of challenges, and work with a diverse array of contacts
- Capable of adapting to abrupt changes in strategy
- Experience within an aerospace, aviation, or automotive manufacturing environment
- Previous experience with capital planning and management
- Demonstrate innovative and futuristic thinking to drive continuous improvement
- Computer Skills - Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Project
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs unassisted
- Willingness to work extended hours and weekends when need to meet critical deadlines
- Ability to provide 24x7 on-call support in emergency situations
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Materials Management/Manager: $110,000.00 - $140,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.