Development Test Specialist
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
DEVELOPMENT TEST SPECIALIST
Development test operations is a fast-paced R&D focused group that supports testing of the latest vehicle and spacecraft designs. Test specialists work closely with engineers to support data and control system setup build and assembly and test execution.
- Assist in the design and fabrication of test fixtures and test setups and test stands (both small and large tests)
- Independently fabricate instrumentation and wire harnesses for ground support electro-mechanical test equipment and spaceflight harnesses that connect to test articles
- Perform tests with engineers according to test procedures. Provide data and preliminary test results
- Collaborate with engineers to develop and document test procedures
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 3+ years of experience working in a hands-on technical position
- 1+ years of experience performing electronic testing and inspection using portable measuring devices
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in research and development or other fast-paced technical environment
- Experience with test operations procedures including hydraulic load control, hydro/pneumatic pressure control, and safe handling of flight parts
- Ability to read electro-mechanical schematics to accomplish checkouts
- Ability to troubleshoot programs and systems and determine root causes and implement fixes
- Ability to install and use test instrumentation sensors, including: strain gages, deflection gages, pressure transducers, load cells, thermocouples, RTDs, accelerometers, and analog circuitry
- Ability to fabricate and repair cable harnesses including: soldering, crimping, assembling connectors
- Ability to read mechanical assembly drawings and blue prints
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) and ability to navigate and manipulate files
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Ability to solve complex problems with minimal supervision on tight schedules
- Ability to take project goals inputs and works towards that end-goal beyond individual task assignment
- Ability to work at elevated heights occasionally (scissor lifts and articulated boom lifts).
- Physical effort including standing, lifting, and carrying equipment up to 30 lbs. unassisted
- Ability to work in outdoor environments as needed
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Development Test Specialist /Level 1: $30.00 - $38.00/hour
Development Test Specialist /Level 2: $34.00 - $43.00/hour
Development Test Specialist /Level 3: $38.00 - $48.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.