Electrical Engineer, Hardware Reliability (Starlink Product)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER, HARDWARE RELIABILITY (STARLINK PRODUCT)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 2M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
As a hardware reliability engineer on the Starlink Product team, you will be responsible for electrical hardware failure analysis, PCBA reliability, and quality of the PCBA production process. This is a high-visibility, hands-on role and engineers on this team are responsible for solving systemic production issues, running root cause of failures from end to end, and working to drive process changes for continually improving product quality. Engineers in this role are expected to become intimately familiar with the circuits, manufacturing processes, and test procedures for the designs they support.
- Perform hands-on debugging to drive to root cause and corrective action of failed phased-array antenna, Wi-Fi router, and power supply PCBAs
- Utilize advanced diagnostic tools such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, x-ray machines, logic analyzers, and custom firmware scripts to root cause electronics
- Develop tools and identify equipment to enhance the team’s capabilities in swiftly root causing electronics
- Drive root cause of PCBA production yield issues and prevent factory escapes of defective hardware
- Document failure modes and use data to continually improve reliability
- Partner with design, software, test, and manufacturing engineering teams to improve yield, processes, test coverage, quality, and reliability
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years experience working with digital or mixed-signal designs, using oscilloscopes, digital multimeters, power supplies, and/or soldering equipment (includes internships and school projects)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1+ years experience in consumer electronics or similar industry
- Experience troubleshooting electronics hardware and/or RF communication systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated capability to jump into ill-defined problems and drive positive outcomes
- Familiarity with programming and automation/scripting languages or ability to quickly learn them (i.e. Python, C++, SQL)
- Experience with PCBA manufacturing processes and assembly such as SMT reflow, wave solder, and selective solder
- Experience with PCBA environmental testing and reliability calculators
- Proficiency in understanding PCB schematics and layout tools
- Experience with Wi-Fi standards (802.11ax, 802.11ac, 802.11n)
- Experience with engineering projects in any one or more of the following areas: CPU/FPGA/ASIC circuit boards, linux, high-speed interfaces, memories, and/or low-power platforms
- Experience with Mentor Graphics Xpedition
- Experience presenting findings to engineering, production, and supply chain teams on a regular basis to drive corrective action
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environment within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace, marine or automotive industries
- Self-starter attitude, energy, and the ability to communicate effectively across business and technical discipline
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Non-exempt Washington employees are eligible for sick leave in accordance with Washington's Sick Leave policies.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.