Test Engineer (Avionics Test Lab)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TEST ENGINEER (AVIONICS TEST LAB)
The Avionics Test Lab performs critical environmental stress and functional screening of all electronic hardware prior to vehicle integration including flight computers, power conversion units, analog and digital circuit boards, FPGAs, communication system units, and more. As a Test Engineer, you will own the success of both flight hardware through testing and any associated test processes to drive safe, high-quality, and efficient delivery to SpaceX vehicles.
- Own flight hardware through thermal, vibration, and other screening procedures and serve as primary contact for any associated issues or stoppages
- Ensure all avionics flight hardware meets SpaceX and customer requirements at the conclusion of testing process
- Write automation software in Python to interact with flight hardware, test equipment, instrumentation, and production documentation
- Troubleshoot test software and modify codebase to adjust test bounds, implement fixes, and incorporate updates as needed
- Collaborate with mechanical/electrical design, quality, and production teams solve high-complexity testing challenges
- Drive continuous improvement efforts to increase throughput and reduce cost to meet launch target
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, or physics
- 1+ years of experience in a hardware and/or software testing environment (internship and project experience are applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of and experience with avionics hardware including flight computers, gas sensors, controllers, antennas, transmitters, receivers, and PCBAs
- Experience developing object oriented software and automated test software
- Experience with environmental testing such as thermal, vibration, shock, and thermal vacuum
- Understanding of electrical schematics and electronics manufacturing to analyze and improve test coverage
- Proven track record solving complex problems with minimal supervision and on a tight schedule
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Standing, lifting, and carrying equipment up to 25 lbs. unassisted
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Test Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Test Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.