Thermal Hardware Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
THERMAL HARDWARE ENGINEER (GLUECREW)
SpaceX continues to revolutionize the launch industry by combining advanced technological developments with pragmatic and lean manufacturing. This is especially important within thermal protection systems and its associated adhesives, coatings, paints, and ablatives. These materials are designed to withstand the extreme environments of launch, on-orbit operations, and reentry. This role will tackle developing and sustaining processes for some of the most vital materials to protect SpaceX vehicles while allowing for rapid reuse and economical flight and re-flight.
- Develop and maintain manufacturing processes for silicone adhesives, paints, and emulsions for all SpaceX vehicles
- Interface with engineers and build resources, including external & internal shops, supervisors, and technicians, to get factory hardware and products built to requirements safely, reliably, on-time, and under budget
- Disposition production issue tickets and own manufacturing planning for the products we produce
- Drive production operations by optimizing product flow, managing factory improvements, and tracking key production metrics
- Design and optimize factory layouts
- Oversee build schedules, execution, and organization of required resources and equipment to implement new material scale-ups or process improvements when necessary
- Qualify new processes and changes to existing processes when necessary
- Travel to external suppliers, and drive outsourced manufacturing development, deliverables, and schedule when necessary
- Create models and drawings for manufacturing support hardware and tooling
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience in a manufacturing, process, operations, build reliability, or production engineering role (student project team or internship experience qualifies)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1+ years of experience in a materials development role
- Experience working in production chemical processes
- Experience standing up a production line and/or chemical manufacturing plant
- Experience with bonding and painting processes
- Familiarity with thermal protection materials and processes
- Familiarity with manufacturing techniques for blending adhesives, paints, and other polymers
- Familiarity with polymer chemistry, particularly with silicones
- Experience using NX (Unigraphics)
- Hands-on fabrication experience, particularly in machining, sheet metal work, welding, or composites
- Demonstrated track record of success in a rapidly growing, fast-paced, and highly competitive environment
- Basic thermal and structural physics understanding
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends as necessary
- Willingness to travel to suppliers for development of processes – anticipated 5%
- Willingness to travel to launch and recovery sites for on vehicle work – anticipated 5%
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.