Mechanical Engineer (HVAC)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER (HVAC)
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated reports
- Air conditioning cooling load calculations, heat loss calculations following ASHRAE standards
- Lead and/or contribute to design of HVAC systems for various facilities: office, hangar, rocket, and customer payload environmental control systems
- Confer with engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information
- Research and analyze design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications
- Research, design, evaluate, install, operate, and maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes to meet requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to maintenance crew
- Develop the mechanical and controls design of products, using drafting tools or computer-assisted design/drafting equipment and software
- Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair to ensure that machines and equipment are installed and functioning according to specifications
- Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation, and performance of equipment, components and systems
- Recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions. Develop and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of modification
- Estimate costs and submit bids for engineering, construction, or extraction projects, and prepare contract documents
- Establish and coordinate the maintenance and safety procedures, service schedule, and supply of materials required to maintain machines and equipment in the prescribed condition
- Study industrial processes to determine where and how application of equipment can be made
- Use fluid dynamic, thermodynamic, and heat transfer scientific knowledge as required to design tubing and piping systems
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, physics, aerospace engineering, or other engineering discipline
- 1+ years of professional experience in design and/or maintenance of industrial HVAC systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Professional experience with clean-room design and maintenance
- Professional experience with panel circuit assignment and load center balancing
- Previous professional experience with system design, sizing, specification and installation of HVAC chillers, pumps, boilers, air handlers, heat pumps, HEPA filtration and building automation
- Familiarity with HVAC/facility monitoring hardware and software
- Intermediate level of experience with AutoCAD
- Ability to pass Cape Canaveral Air Force Base background check
- Willing to travel to other SpaceX locations as necessary
- Work schedule may vary depending on site operational needs, and flexibility is required
- Ability to lift up to 35 lbs. unassisted
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Mechanical Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Mechanical Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.