Supervisor, Launch Pad Technicians - Night Shift
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SUPERVISOR, LAUNCH PAD TECHNICIANS - NIGHT SHIFT
SpaceX Launch Pad Technicians work in a fast-paced environment by supporting a variety of fluids, mechanical, instrumentation and DCS (Data Control Systems) systems within the launch pad. The Launch Pad Technician Supervisor will provide technical expertise is the areas of instrumentation and data acquisition hardware in support of our launch pad at LC-39A.
- Lead and direct complex technical assignments involving instrumentation and data acquisition/processing systems
- Lead a team of technicians to maintain, calibrate, configure, monitor, test, troubleshoot, install, and repair instrumentation, process controls, data acquisition systems, electrical systems, fluid systems, and mechanical systems.
- Investigate, diagnose, correct, and document system malfunctions
- Fabricate and install parts and systems to be tested in test equipment using hand tools, power tools, and test instruments
- Adjust, repair, or replace faulty components on the launch pad
- Complete necessary instrumentation of test stands, wiring, and data acquisition systems
- Configure the data acquisition hardware
- Connect and verify pressure transducers, thermocouples, and other sensors
- Perform continuity checks; locate and correct wiring errors using measuring instruments such as ohmmeters and sequential continuity checkers
- Adjust, calibrate, align, and modify circuitry and components and records effects on unit performance
- Read and interpret planning documents, schematics, wiring diagrams, specifications, and drawings
- Collaborate with engineers to troubleshoot failures and issues derived from test data
- Ensure that team cohesion and morale are high at all times
- Ability to fill in for lack of instruction; design and create work orders, and make sure the team has all the info they need to complete any task
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 3+ years of experience working with any of the following instrumentation: Resistance Temperature Devices (RTDs), silicon diode temperature devices, strain gages, load cells, displacement transducers, or pressure transducers
- 3+ years of prior leadership experience leading teams, projects or people
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Basic knowledge of Wheatstone bridge theory, ability to apply ohms law, and an understanding of DC electronics
- Associate degree in instrumentation, control technology, electrical systems, or other related field
- Operational knowledge of an oscilloscope and multi-meter, soldering wires and connectors, operation of various crimping tools, wire stripping, ohm's law, continuity testing, pinning out a military type connector, routing and tie wrapping cables, drilling and tapping holes, and building junction boxes
- System level trouble-shooting skills and the ability to logically solve instrumentation system problems and determine corrective action
- Knowledge in signal conditioning concepts for various types of sensors, to include the following: Thermocouple Types K, S, and E; TC bonding concepts: resistance weld on and adhesive bond on types; TC probes through thermowell sheaths; Cold Junction compensation concepts
- Background should include experience with the following devices: DC power supplies; DC-DC convertors; UPS installations; Heat shrink tubing, cable harnessing, lacing, and proper strain relief concepts
- Working knowledge of transducers, operational amplifiers, and the knowledge of measurement techniques for temperature, pressure, flow, displacement, vibration and the application strain gages are also highly desired. Identify required data, data acquisition plans and test parameters, setting up equipment to conform to these specifications
- Working knowledge multiple bus architectures (PCI/PCIe, PXI/PXIe, GPIB, Serial, USB, etc.) and data communication technologies
- Demonstrated capabilities in the development of comprehensive project plans that include all tasks; stage/gate milestones, and reviews necessary to successfully develop and implement solutions
- Intermediate skill level using Windows Operating Systems
- Intermediate skill level using Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, OneNote)
- Knowledge in Data Acquisition concepts, hardware, and interfacing (SCXI and PXI based)
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- Ability to work nights with shift starting around 5pm
- Flight hardware typically is built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required, along with the ability to lift objects up to 35 pounds
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments - heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be available to work overtime and weekends
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to pass the Cape Canaveral Air Force background check
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Supervisor: $105,000.00 - $135,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.