Fire Protection Engineer (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today, SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
FIRE PROTECTION ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
The fire protection engineer provides design/build support and AHJ coordination in the following areas: fire protection, life safety, building and fire codes, fire hazard and risk assessment of materials and processes, fire and smoke spread, industrial fire hazards, fire investigation support, and other fire and life safety issues.
- Support engineering design, analysis, calculations and specifications for facility fire and life safety systems
- Develop building, fire code compliance documents and fire life safety designs for SpaceX launch facilities.
- Perform hazardous material analysis for code compliances purposes, such as chemical classification, chemical quantity analysis, chemical inventory management, and related system design support.
- Support facility construction teams to develop field solutions for efficient application of life safety requirements.
- Support commissioning activities during pre-test and AHJ testing phases for launch site facility builds.
- Conduct fire/life safety code reviews and analyses.
- Prepare and present technical reports and presentations.
- Review and comment on shop drawing design packages developed by contractors.
- Manage Fire Protection contractors for maintenance of Fire Alarm systems.
- Coordinate annual testing for life safety systems.
- Develop AM&M (Alternate Means & Methods) to local AHJ to help with performance-based design criteria to meet intent of code.
- Bachelors Fire Protection Engineering or in similar related field
- 2+ years’ experience in the design and/or construction of fire protection systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Professional Engineer License
- Working knowledge of Building & Fire Codes and NFPA Codes & Standards.
- Ability to lead project design teams.
- NICET certification in relevant fire protection programs
- Knowledgeable in OSHA compliance
- FDS software modeling capabilities
- Proficient in Autodesk Revit and BIM integration tools
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Fire Protection Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Fire Protection Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.