Loads and Dynamics Engineer (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LOADS AND DYNAMICS ENGINEER (STARLINK)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 2M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
Dynamics is responsible for low and high frequency loads, vibration, and forcing functions for Starlink satellites during ground transportation, ascent (launch), and on-orbit operation. Responsibilities also include database design and software programming for tool development. This role will also be responsible for test planning, setup, execution, and data processing. Dynamics engineers are expected to have a strong intuition of the frequency domain in addition to having solid software and analytical skills.
- Resolve dynamics problems through analysis and test
- Execute dynamic testing from start-to-finish including pre-test analysis, sensor selection & installation, testing, data analysis, signal processing and model correlation
- Build finite element models
- Perform analyses using commercial and in-house codes as well as write new code
- Perform other analyses that improve products including, but not limited to, satellite brightness, stress analyses, and fatigue analysis
- Bachelor's degree in physics, mathematics, or an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of professional experience with dynamics
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Hands-on experience either analyzing data or building hardware
- Experience with vibration and shock testing
- Experience with NASTRAN
- Finite element modeling experience (use of FEMAP)
- Working knowledge of structural analysis and test, including a fundamental understanding of strength, stability and fatigue failure mechanisms
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary to support critical milestones
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Loads and Dynamics Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Loads and Dynamics Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.