Sr. Antenna Engineer (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. ANTENNA ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
The Avionics RF team is responsible for communication systems and RF sensors on our spacecraft and launch vehicles. New development will largely focus on our Starship vehicle. We design systems and architectures that enable new vehicle capabilities, and take the necessary components and products from concept to flight. Join our mission to take humans back to the lunar surface, ultimately enabling us to establish permanent communities on the Moon, Mars, and beyond.
- Design of antennas for communications and sensors, in VHF through Ka-band
- Build and characterize antenna, feed, filter, and front-end prototypes
- Multidisciplinary collaboration to improve RF manufacturing, mechanical, and testability
- Analyze wireless systems (antenna isolation, patterns with large structures, propagation effects, etc.)
- Provide antenna expertise and RF radiation expertise (plasma attenuation, shielding, etc.) to various aspects of the spacecraft
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline with emphasis in electromagnetic theory and/or microwave circuits
- 5+ years of professional or project experience in antenna design, build, test and/or electromagnetic simulations
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD in electrical engineering with research/thesis work on RF or antennas
- Experience with test equipment such as spectrum analyzer, signal generator, network analyzer, power meters, and RF passive components
- Proficiency with basic RF concepts such as impedance matching, linear and aperture antennas, smith chart, power handling metrics (IIP2, IMD), microwave network analysis, RF filter design
- Familiar with antenna measurement techniques and tools such as anechoic/reverb chambers, near field EM measurements
- Experience with electrical schematic capture software (Altium, Orcad or similar)
- Familiar with RF circuit simulation tools for cascade analysis: AWR, ADS, Genesys
- Experience with electromagnetics simulation tools such as HFSS, CST, Savant, or similar – including tradeoffs of FEM, MoM, FDTD, and PO methods
- Experience with Python, MATLAB, or C/C++ programming for data analysis or test equipment interfacing
- Basic CAD skills for prototype designs and working directly with mechanical engineers
- Experience with variety of antenna types - including reflectors or phased array design
- Excellent communication and documentation skills, and ability to collaborate with other engineering disciplines
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Sr. Antenna Engineer/Senior: $160,000.00 - $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.