Weld Support Technician
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
WELD SUPPORT TECHNICIAN
We are currently seeking individuals to fill a Weld Support Technician position at our Texas test site. This position requires skill in a specialized trade in order to complete welding requirements and operational needs. The position is responsible for executing the activities of the weld support team (plasma programming/operating, saw, proof and clean pipe, material movements in and around the shop, and cross-training across these functions).
- Work with Lead to complete the assignment/project, solve problems, meet deadlines, and review issues for consistent improvement.
- Support welding projects by performing tasks such as: plasma programming/operating, saw, proof and clean pipe, material movements in and around the shop, cleaning, etc.
- Frequently communicate with engineers and other customers to resolve issues and meet demands.
- Join in problem solving and collaboration of SpaceX tasks and assignments.
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications to execute welding support operations where procedural information is unavailable.
- Obtain and maintain licenses, operator permits or certifications as required.
- Make a continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of experience with hand tools, or band saws, or torch cutting in a construction, industrial, or manufacturing environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1+ year of experience with plasma table programming/operating
- Experience working in a role supporting welding operations (prep – cut, clean, etc.)
- Experience in a high mix/low volume (job shop) manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of hydrostatic pressure testing or “proof and clean” operations
- Knowledge in standard tools, materials, motions, and practices of the welding trade
- Knowledge in occupational hazards and effective safety precautions of the trade
- Ability to use precision measuring instruments
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Working conditions may be in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body
- Working in cramped positions in small openings, and climbing hand over hand
- Able to lift heavy objects up to 25lbs unassisted
- Ability to work on ladders, lifts, and at elevated heights (up to 300 feet) with proper PPE
- Able to respond to emergencies to support priority projects, missions, and launches
- Available to work extended hours and weekends as needed; flexibility is required
- Able to work in extreme outdoor environments when needed – heat, cold, wind, rain, etc.
- Able to work in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Ability and willingness to travel nationally for up to four weeks
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Weld Support Technician/Level 1: $18.00/hour
Weld Support Technician/Level 2: $21.00/hour
Weld Support Technician/Level 3: $25.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.