Software Engineer (Space Operations)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (SPACE OPERATIONS)
As an engineer on the Space Operations Software team, you will build the mission critical applications and displays that are central to the way our in-space and human space missions are conducted. Our suite of applications directly supports SpaceX operation teams throughout mission preparation and execution to fly more frequently, safely, and reliably. In your role, you will engage with SpaceX engineers, operators, and flight crews to better understand their needs in order to create solutions that anticipate and solve the important problems they face. With a significant focus on simplicity and usability in our interfaces, your work will help revolutionize the way everyday spaceflight is conducted.
Aerospace experience is not required to be successful here – rather we look for smart, motivated, respectful, collaborative engineers who love solving problems and want to make an impact on a super inspiring mission. You will have full ownership of challenging problems, working with a team of enthusiastic engineers designing solutions that propel SpaceX toward our goals at a rapid pace. Mission success at SpaceX depends on the software you produce with the Space Operations Software team.
- Work directly with engineers, operators, and crew to craft aesthetically and functionally flawless operator experiences.
- Build and maintain the primary tools and real-time interfaces used to execute regular spacecraft operations.
- Conduct goal-directed task analyses, user stories, and process engineering to develop software requirements.
- Identify automation opportunities to fly each mission more simply than the last.
- Take full ownership of application life cycles including documentation, test, maintenance, and continuous improvement.
- Conduct design reviews and communicate functionality to engineers, operators, and crew.
- Take part in console operations to achieve a first-hand look at problems and the effectiveness of solutions.
- Develop production-quality code against aggressive timelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline.
- 2+ years of experience in web development or software engineering (internships and school projects qualify).
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Comfort with front-end and back-end frameworks and tools such as LitElement, React, Angular, Flask, Django, FastAPI, SQL, and Docker.
- Familiar with continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) best practices.
- Knowledge of HTTP requests, API structures (REST), and HTTP authentication techniques.
- Knowledge of cognitive engineering and user experience design principles.
- Design experience and/or track record of developing with an eye for aesthetics.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Familiarity with launch vehicles or spacecraft systems.
- Previous spacecraft engineering experience.
- Previous experience in an operational role (e.g. Aviation, Scuba, Seamanship).
- Capacity to balance conflicting opinions and manage expectations between multiple teams.
- Able to be flexible and adapt in a changing and fast-paced environment.
- When necessary, must be willing to work long hours and weekends to support launch operations and critical project timelines.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.