Sr. Network Engineer (Starshield)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
NETWORK ENGINEER (STARSHIELD)
Starshield leverages SpaceX’s Starlink technology and launch capability to support national security efforts. While Starlink is designed for consumer and commercial use, Starshield is designed for government use, with an initial focus on earth observation, communications, and hosted payloads. The Starshield team is building highly reliable in-space mesh networks, designing secure systems to guarantee access to space, designing next-gen communication and sensing software, and more.
As a Network Engineer you will drive the operation, build and deployment of the Starshield network, which supports critical national security missions. You will play a key role by managing and expanding the network; monitoring and improving network security; improving network performance and reliability; and optimizing network deployments.
- Manage and expand network interconnections, network co-location sites and points of presence (POPs)
- Manage network infrastructure and deployments to Top Secret datacenters
- Improve network performance and reliability based upon system performance metrics, including capacity planning, failure detection and remediation
- Assist in capacity augmentation and network optimization deployments
- Lead network integration and troubleshooting efforts
- Collaborate with hardware, software, and network engineers to improve the Starshield network design
- Assist in updating system configuration and firmware
- Build automation for network devices, operational and deployment tools
- Mentor and train junior network engineers
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or engineering discipline AND 5+ years of professional networking experience deploying enterprise network solutions or cloud and web-scale networks; OR 7+ years of professional networking experience deploying enterprise network solutions or cloud and web-scale networks
- Professional Layer-1 experience (Example: transport, DWDM, optical fiber, circuit troubleshooting, activations, etc.)
- Hands on experience with the build-out and deployment of hardware at datacenters and interacting with datacenters (e.g. remote hands, cross-connect execution, etc.)
- Experience bringing up switches, routers, firewalls and servers
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in a technical or engineering discipline
- Experience with Python and/or bash scripting
- Experience with physical troubleshooting of fiber & circuits
- Deep understanding of service provider networks including but not limited to:
- Connectivity (Ethernet, IPv4, IPv6 and MPLS)
- Routing (BGP, OSPF, IS-IS)
- Switching and routing
- Internet services (subscriber provisioning, BRAS, DNS, DHCP, NTP)
- Strong familiarity with network health monitoring systems such as Observium, Solarwinds or Nagios
- Operational experience in a Linux production environment
- Cisco, Juniper, Arista or other industry certification
- Ability to work independently and in a team, take initiative, and communicate effectively
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance
- Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions; if so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
- Must be willing to travel domestically and globally in the future when needed (Primarily for POP deployments and build out)
- Must be available for on-call rotations
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Network Engineer/Senior: $160,000.00 - $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.