SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
- Develop, implement and improve environmental programs at SpaceX’s Hawthorne, CA location
- Maintain compliance with all applicable regulations established by the AQMD, LACSD, CARB, RWQCB, DTSC, CERCLA, RCRA, DOT, EPA and other applicable California and federal regulatory agencies
- Track, review, and interpret new and proposed environmental laws and regulations, and provide guidance to management
- Perform environmental audits to ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies
- Operate and maintain the compliance calendar and other recordkeeping and environmental tracking software
- Maintain site operational compliance plans including storm water pollution prevention plan (SWPPP), spill prevention control and countermeasures plan, and LACSD industrial waste discharge permits
- Maintain recordkeeping and compliance requirements established for permitted sources defined by the local AQMD
- Responsible for hazardous waste and materials compliance under CUPA, SPCCs, HMBPs, CERS, and TRI reporting
- Coordinate and manage contractors for permitting and environmental testing. Review and maintain reports and other relevant records from assessments and permitting activities
- Assist the Environmental Health and Safety team with site operational compliance as needed
- Assist in planning for changes in physical facilities, reviewing new or modified equipment and new manufacturing programs to meet regulatory and permitting requirements
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with federal, state, and county regulators
- Develop and maintain positive and close working relationships with engineering teams across the site
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of professional experience in the design, development, and execution of environmental and regulatory compliance programs
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering with an emphasis in environmental engineering
- Experience in environmental field with 5+ years of environmental and regulatory compliance in a dynamic manufacturing environment
- California regulatory and environmental compliance experience
- Experience developing and maintaining air emissions permits under South Coast AQMD jurisdiction
- Experience permitting and maintaining industrial discharges through the Los Angeles County Sanitation District
- Experience developing and maintaining SWPPPs and site BMPs for RWQCB stormwater compliance
- Experience with following agencies: AQMD, LACSD, RWQCB, EPA, CERCLA, RCRA, DOT
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Experience handling highly technical data and technical data interpretation.
- Track record of successful analysis, interpretation, and application of rules and regulations towards practical solutions
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment, including frequent interactions with other engineers, managers, federal, state and county agencies. Ability to handle many projects at once, prioritize work, and work efficiently
- Highly self-motivated and able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment with ongoing drive for continuous improvement in all aspects of work
- This is not a remote or hybrid position and will require relocation if not already local to the Hawthorne, CA area
- Position occasionally requires the ability to work extended hours and weekends when needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Environmental Regulatory Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Environmental Regulatory Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.