Sr. Embedded Software Engineer, Consumer Hardware (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. EMBEDDED SOFTWARE ENGINEER, CONSUMER HARDWARE (STARLINK)
Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 2M+ users worldwide. We design, build, manufacture, and operate all parts of the system including thousands of satellites and millions of consumer kits. While users can get online within minutes almost anywhere in the world, we’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential. We are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for individuals, communities, and businesses.
As a Software Engineer on the Consumer Hardware team, you will be solving challenges such as:
- Developing software running on custom hardware that is deployed to millions of devices around the world.
- Creating infrastructure and tools for rapid and reliable deployment of our code to our customers no matter where they are.
- Writing software for Starlink’s custom phased array and modem silicon.
- Radically improving the user experience of satellite internet.
- Developing a telemetry system that scales to millions of devices with trillions of data points.
- Building robust systems that are resistant to adversarial attacks.
Our software engineers are responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software they create, including development, testing, and support.
- Design and implement highly available, fault-tolerant consumer devices that operate for long periods of time with minimal maintenance for millions of users.
- Participate in architecture, design, and code reviews.
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints.
- Work with the Starlink factory to manufacture devices in-house.
- Write quality Linux based software for common processors and microcontrollers (e.g. ARM, RISC V, etc.).
- Develop systems that allow for test execution across multiple environments such as virtualized hardware or real hardware-in-the-loop simulations.
- Invent new tools that enable more frequent and reliable software deployment, test execution, and data analysis as part of a continuous integration and release system.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math, or a STEM discipline and 5+ years of professional experience in software engineering; OR 7+ years of professional experience in software engineering in lieu of a degree.
- Development experience in C, C++, Golang, Python or Rust.
- Professional experience with embedded or low level systems development.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Developed, debugged and deployed software that has been used in real world embedded devices.
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional analytical skills and engineering fundamentals.
- Solid fundamental knowledge of networking protocols (TCP/IP etc.), electronics, math, physics, radio frequency.
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization, and testing.
- Experience with security issues associated with distributed systems and internet services.
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Sr. Software Engineer: $160,000.00 - $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k)-retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.