Starship Thermal Hardware Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
STARSHIP THERMAL HARDWARE ENGINEER
SpaceX is currently seeking talented individuals for a Thermal Hardware Engineer position on the Starship heat shield engineering team. You will have the opportunity to utilize your knowledge, experience, and creativity to rapidly design, build, and integrate novel systems required for mass production of Starship heat shield tiles.
- Own the design, build, and integration of high-rate/low-cost production systems for the heat shield tile manufacturing process
- Develop material manufacturing systems by utilizing in-depth knowledge of industrial mechanical and fluid systems
- Utilize and acquire knowledge of chemistry, materials science, and automation controls to ensure successful delivery of processes to production
- Model industrial mechanical assemblies, fluids routing, and facility design using CAD software
- Create and release detailed manufacturing drawings, schematics, and work instructions for build and fabrication
- Specify and down select components such as sensors, valves, pumps, piping, and tanks, and provide detailed specifications for their purchase
- Act as technical point of contact for equipment/system vendors by ensuring deliverables meet system requirements and delivery schedule is met
- Own and drive system integration and activation schedules meeting tight deadlines
- Work and lead alongside skilled technician teams or contractors
- Write procedures for system activation, manufacturing operations, and preventative maintenance
- Support design, methodology, and implementation of control systems for heat shield material production by working closely with the automation and controls team
- Deliver innovative solutions to assigned areas of ownership under minimal supervision or direction
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, aerospace engineering, materials engineering, or manufacturing engineering
- 2+ years of experience working in integration/design/build in aerospace, industrial, chemical, or material manufacturing processes
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 4+ years of experience working integration/design/build in aerospace, industrial, chemical, or material manufacturing processes
- Hands-on experience working with fluid or mechanical systems in a professional setting
- Demonstrated expertise in the design, build, and operation of hazardous processing equipment
- Demonstrated expertise in activating and commissioning industrial production systems
- Experience using Siemens NX, SOLIDWORKS, or similar CAD software
- Experience drafting and updating piping and instrumentation schematics
- Experience using SQL or other similar database systems
- Familiarity with industrial control systems (such as PLCs)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially translating technical concepts for non-technical audiences
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX locations as necessary, anticipated up to 10%
- 50 hour work week is typical and may vary depending on site operational needs; flexibility is required
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. unassisted
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Level l: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Level ll: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.