Optical Network Engineer (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
OPTICAL NETWORK ENGINEER (STARLINK)
We are looking for creative and driven optical network engineers to spearhead the design and development of innovative fiber optic connectivity solutions that bind thousands of satellites in space to internet points of presence across the globe. Engineers on this team are curious about new possibilities, have strong judgment, and work effectively in a dynamic environment with changing needs as we strive to deliver high-impact technology on a massive scale.
- Design and develop optical connectivity solutions for the Starlink ground network infrastructure
- Develop and maintain lab and production test stations for new product qualification and root cause analysis of operational fleet hardware
- Develop modular, reusable test and automation software in Python for engineering design verification
- Work with ground networking and space network teams to scale the Starlink network physical layer and optimize traffic flow
- Develop tools and solutions to proactively monitor the health and availability of the optical infrastructure and lead continuous reliability improvement initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, applied physics, or a STEM degree
- 1+ years of experience in designing optical experiments and developing test automation
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, and work both independently and within team to achieve high-quality results
- Fundamental understanding in any of the following fields:
- DWDM transmission systems
- Communications theory
- Integrated photonics or optical subsystems
- Experience with any of the following areas is a bonus:
- Optical network design, planning, and DWDM system performance analysis
- Hands-on optical device or system level test and characterization
- Leadership in designing and creating test software infrastructure
- Experience in any scripting/programming language (Python, Matlab, or similar)
- Experience performing data extraction, visualization and analysis using programming languages (e.g., Python) or SQL
- IP networking and traffic flow fundamentals
- Willingness to work extended hours and weekends as necessary
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.