Lead Electrical Test Development Engineer, Consumer Hardware (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD ELECTRICAL TEST DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER, CONSUMER HARDWARE (STARLINK)
SpaceX is leveraging its experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 2M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact. As we continue to upgrade and expand the constellation, we’re looking for best-in-class engineers to join the team.
As a Lead Electrical Test Engineer, you will spearhead the development of electronics and test solutions for a significant portion of our Starlink customer products (Starlink dishes/user terminals, Wi-Fi routers, power supplies, etc.). You will be responsible for the design, implementation, and verification of the electrical system and automated design validation solutions. Your cross-functional team of electrical, mechanical, and software engineers will lead our efforts to rapidly create innovative products and test solutions.
- Lead a team of engineers to rapidly design, develop, and test highly reliable electronics & test solutions for our Starlink Consumer & Enterprise Products
- Drive electrical architecture, test hardware & software solutions, specification, component selection, circuit board design, implementation, verification, board bring up, and debugging
- Optimize existing designs to improve reliability and reduce production and field defects
- Write automation software in Python and/or C to interact with units under test, test equipment, instrumentation, and documentation systems
- Root cause test failures and recommend design improvements to prevent issues
- Develop automated hardware & software solutions to characterize our electronics
- Recruit, develop, and lead a cross-functional team of electrical, mechanical, and software engineers
- Partner with antenna, software, mechanical, thermal, and manufacturing teams
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer engineering, or other engineering discipline
- 5+ years of professional experience rapidly designing, testing, and delivering highly reliable products and/or test solutions
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 4+ years of electronic product experience designing hardware & test solutions from concept through production; strong emphasis on full life cycle development of new hardware products and not small incremental updates to legacy hardware or test solutions.
- 4+ years of professional experience testing, troubleshooting, and debugging electronics
- 4+ years of experience with test equipment (spectrum analyzers, vector signal generators, network analyzers, etc.)
- 2+ years of experience with time series databases & SQL
- 2+ years of experience with software development (Python, C/C++)
- 2+ years of experience with the design of automated test solutions
- 1+ years of experience with server-side Linux configurations
- Strong understanding of computers and programming languages (Python, C/C++).
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to work extended hours or weekends as needed for mission critical deadlines
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.