Principal Manufacturing Engineer, Ultra Precision Machining
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRINCIPAL MANUFACTURING ENGINEER, ULTRA PRECISION MACHINING
The Starlink Space Lasers team designs, builds, and operates the most complex on orbit optical communications system in the world. As a Principal Manufacturing Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and managing the ultra precision manufacturing area. This role will interface closely with the design and production teams to iterate towards the best possible manufacturing solution. In this role, you will also be responsible for sharing your knowledge in ultra-precision machining technology to help develop novel processes in other areas of SpaceX.
- Support programming and machining tasks as needed to support development and production programs
- Lead ultra precision machining technology at Starlink/SpaceX and aid in developing future technologies
- Develop strategic plan for short and long-term precision machining goals
- Collaborate with leaders for future ultra precision machining growth, production rate increase, and design simplification.
- Identify process improvement and modifications to develop strategies, increase efficiency, and improve upon existing company objectives.
- Provide professional and technical guidance and mentorship to leaders, engineers, technicians, and other individual contributor team members
- Ensure adequate focus is spread across product development and process optimization
- Work collaboratively with internal teams to support cost, quality, and delivery targets
- Proactively update SpaceX management and engineering teams on all critical supply issues, and review operational data in order to report metrics that align with business goals, and drive the right operational behavior
- Coordinate with other technical leaders and groups on future developments, new manufacturing technologies, and find ways to leverage high production applications in the additive process
- 10+ years of precision CNC programming and machining experience
- 5+ years of single point diamond turning experience
- 1+ years directly leading engineers, machinists, and/or CNC programmers
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 10+ years of professional experience in medium to high volume ultra-precision machining shop
- 5+ years of professional experience leading a team
- 5+ years of professional experience building new teams, organizations, and manufacturing operations
- Proven understanding of all aspects related to diamond turning machining technology including all types of materials (ferrous, glass, non-ferrous, etc..), advanced machining techniques (micro-milling, freeform optical machining)
- Understanding of operation and measurement techniques for optical metrology (microscopes, interferometers, profilometers)
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Principal Manufacturing Engineer, Ultra Precision Machining: $165,000.00 - $230,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.