SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The NDE Engineer position at SpaceX sits within the NDE Engineering organization reporting to the NDE Engineering Manager- Radiography (RT). You will be required to interface across multiple business groups to develop and support state-of-the-art inspection solutions and advanced data analysis to deliver manufacturing process improvements to ensure flight reliability of the vehicle.
- Develop and deliver advanced nondestructive evaluation inspection solutions
- Design, prototype, and implement nondestructive sensor systems to solve manufacturing quality problems
- Interface with vehicle engineering across all programs to align on inspection requirements and capabilities, feasibility, designing parts for inspectability, inspection method selection, interpretation and evaluation of data
- Prototype early inspection development and bench-top validation to reduce risk for new technologies
- Interface with vendors, tooling and automation groups to define requirements, manage projects through to delivery
- Support targets and goals such as nondestructive automation initiatives, increased probability of detection, reduced cycle time, right first-time manufacture/assembly, and indication/defect reduction
- Develop technology in emerging nondestructive methodologies
- Support NDE specialists with development, qualification and deployment of new inspection processes (gauge R&R, PODs) including documentation and training
- Be able to present risk/performance analysis and recommendations to cross-functional teams including executives
- Manage priorities and support a host of projects simultaneously
- Define integration test plans for hardware products or software features with integration milestones that align with the program timeline
- Drive cross-functional nondestructive design and analysis discussions with electrical, software, manufacturing, and vehicle design teams
- Develop data collection and analysis pipeline at all stages of the project
- Understand and debug hardware and software interactions during design, launch, and deployment
- Use field data to improve design and performance of NDE systems
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline, physics, or computer science
- 1+ years of hands-on technical engineering experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD in an engineering discipline
- Knowledge of a variety of NDE techniques such as ultrasonic testing, eddy current testing, digital radiography testing, etc.
- Knowledge of statistical modeling, machine learning, and mathematical optimization
- Understanding of hardware and software development and validation process
- Familiarity with JIRA or similar task/feature tracking systems
- Knowledge of automation, including robotics
- Experience with software and automation coding (Labview, Python, C#, SQL)
- Ability to multitask, from developing technologies, project management, and training people throughout the introduction of multiple productive solutions, from inception and R&D to full-volume production
- Experience with problem solving tools and techniques: Practical Problem Solving, 8D etc.
- Ability to work flexible hours and occasional weekend support as needed
- Ability to work at elevated heights occasionally (scissor lifts and articulated boom lifts)
- Ability to pass Space Force / Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- Ability to travel to vendors and other SpaceX sites as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
NDE Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
NDE Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.