Propulsion Supply Chain Engineer (Falcon)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PROPULSION SUPPLY CHAIN ENGINEER (FALCON)
This position will support the Falcon 9 Merlin propulsion supply chain program and requires a combination of proven leadership and technical capabilities. This is a highly technical position that requires practical experience in process engineering and manufacturing. Focuses will include new product development through to stabilized production for metallurgical components and assemblies used in rockets and rocket engines. The ideal candidate will have a broad understanding of materials, manufacturing processes, and product forms with the desire and capability to take on new challenges in unfamiliar areas to help enable our mission to Mars.
- Act as the supply chain technical point of contact for assigned metallic raw materials, semi-finished products, and/or finished products used on our vehicles and engines, solving emergent challenges at suppliers, mitigating risk to the manifest by addressing high-impact manufacturing and quality challenges, and working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to tackle quality and programmatic risks that arise
- Become thoroughly familiar with your assigned parts and the processes that make up the overall assembly and become the primary point of contact for supply chain related defects on your parts
- Review and disposition issues on assigned parts and solve to the root cause, implementing changes at the supplier, at SpaceX, or both, as appropriate, driving further actions to closure, and sourcing to new suppliers where appropriate
- Own the New Product Introduction (NPI) and qualification processes at suppliers for new parts, drawing changes, process changes, or sourcing activities
- Drive technical product improvements to reduce risks to quality and delivery, and potential defect opportunities
- Function as liaison between purchasing, engineering, manufacturing and suppliers to resolve supplier quality issues and to provide technical support
- Drive for results and customer satisfaction by collaborating with teams, leading projects and continuously driving improvement in the supply base
- Work with sourcing and procurement to find exceptional suppliers, vet them appropriately for quality and ability to meet our aggressive takt times, and execute onboarding activities
- Review, assess, and optimize supplier manufacturing processes, methods, technologies, controls, and quality systems
- Demonstrate innovation, technical excellence, attention to detail, self-direction, and courage
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline (e.g. mechanical, chemical, materials, metallurgical, etc.)
- 1+ years of experience with manufacturing or process engineering role
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with machining methods and processes
- Broad familiarity with metallic mill products in the alloys and product forms
- Broad familiarity with the ancillary processes associated with the production of metallic parts, e.g., NDE, heat treatment, etc., is a plus
- Technical capabilities including knowledge of 2D blueprints and model drawings
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes; Production Part Approval Process, Advanced Product Quality Planning, First Article Inspection Reports, etc.
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and methods like design of experiments, Six Sigma, etc.
- Experience with Quality Systems (ISO 9000/TS/AS9100/NADCAP)
- Disciplined approach to problem solving - 8D
- Proficient in MS Office applications and report writing
- Knowledge of lean concepts
- Experience with sharing information and influencing others; strong written and verbal communication skills, able to liaise cross functionally, internally and externally, make presentations to team members and management
- Must be able to travel - up to 60-85% work week travel may be required, including international travel
- Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed to meet major milestones
- This position is based in Hawthorne, CA and requires being onsite - remote work not considered
- Valid driver’s license mandatory, valid passport preferred
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Supply Chain Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Supply Chain Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.