Sr. Sourcing Specialist, Indirect (Construction & Capital Equipment) (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SOURCING SPECIALIST, INDIRECT (CONSTRUCTION & CAPITAL EQUIPMENT) (STARLINK)
The SpaceX Supply Chain Department is a critical player in our operations. To capitalize on our technical and market success, our team will execute large-scale projects that will define the bottom-line for the company. The functions within the department include procurement, planning and fulfillment, supplier development and quality, logistics and inventory. As SpaceX becomes the overall market leader, they will position us to maximize valuation, fuel growth and ensure achievement. This individual will support construction projects and capital expenditure purchases. Categories to be managed range from robotics, material flow, surface mount technology, various assembly systems, and testing of electronic equipment/assemblies.
- Work directly with key internal stakeholders to develop and implement sourcing and cost management strategies that support capital equipment purchases and construction projects
- Partner with engineering / production and drive technical roadmap for manufacturing equipment sourced by SpaceX
- Build genuine relationships both internally and externally and drive cross-functional teams to achieve consensus regarding the opportunities
- Create sourcing strategies to reduce risk and meet targets for the purchasing department for payment terms, cash targets, on time delivery and cost savings
- Draft, negotiate, and manage capital and construction contracts from RFP through completion
- Manage contracts to ensure performance of the supplier meet contract obligations, and understand interrelationships between contracts and terms
- Perform project control tasks such as project budgeting and scheduling
- Identify and execute cost reduction projects including planning and coordinating with stakeholders, estimating completion, and providing project updates
- Oversee advanced quantitative analysis to identify financial impacts of decisions and performance for category managed
- Perform business process analysis, and develop models to improve cost
- Conduct research; perform benchmarking, and gather market analysis for assigned categories
- Source and onboard new suppliers to serve dynamic program with rapidly evolving business needs
- Place purchase orders, and resolve blocked invoices related to assigned category
- Create sourcing strategies to reduce risk, enable continuous cost reduction and align with company strategy on payment terms, cash targets, on time delivery and cost savings
- Utilize negotiations to maximize value, cost savings and priority in terms of delivery for SpaceX while lowering risk
- Understand the technical aspects of equipment/stations in our factories to identify opportunities for cost/space/process optimization and use data analytics to identify and parse process related opportunities
- Communicate overall equipment status to the management team including schedules, risks and mitigation actions and respond quickly to changes to the overall goals, schedule, and/or architecture
- Advanced degree; or bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of experience working in one or more of the following; or 6+ years of experience working in one or more of the following
- Contract negotiation
- Material or production planning
- Operations or supply chain management
- Material cost control
- Master production scheduling
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of experience working in procurement, construction, operations, and/or buying function supporting manufacturing entities
- Understanding of the manufacturing process
- Cost estimation experience in capital projects, equipment sourcing and planning
- Strong budget tracking and cost analytical skills
- Capable of work hand in hand with engineering, production and vendors to design and implement the sourcing strategy to bring the equipment in house
- Knowledge of active, passive, and electro-mechanical components
- Experience in product development milestones, new product introduction (NPI) and mass production (MP)
- Ability to hold supplier accountable to commitments made
- Ability to mine data from our in-house ERP using Excel, SQL and Power BI to enable decision making
- Effective written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and prioritize appropriately to meet customer and company needs
- Excellent customer service skills
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to respond quickly to a fast-moving and ever-changing environment
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends when needed to meet critical deadlines
- Ability to communicate outside of work hours
- Able to travel for business trips as needed (up to 70%) to Hawthorne, CA for initial training (3-4 months) and up to 10% on an ongoing basis
- This position is based in Bastrop, TX and requires being onsite – remote work not considered
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Sr. Sourcing Specialist: $90,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.