Supply Chain Engineer, Instrumentation (Falcon)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SUPPLY CHAIN ENGINEER, INSTRUMENTATION (FALCON)
SpaceX demands a new type of supply chain. We require our suppliers to provide premium quality with rapidly evolving designs at increasingly ambitious volumes. The supply chain engineering team is responsible to solve technical and operational problems, ultimately enabling the delivery of perfect parts on time to the production of our revolutionary spacecraft and launch vehicles.
We are actively looking for candidates who possess comprehensive knowledge of manufacturing and quality tools and have unrelenting motivation to enable suppliers for success. In this role, you would identify gaps and opportunities around design for manufacturability, supplier selection, supplier corrective and preventive actions, and you would design and implement improvements that can be deployed across the SpaceX enterprise. You would be aligned closely with production and avionics engineering, build an extensive network with the design engineering, build reliability, production, and supply chain management organizations and be the key enabler for our suppliers’ success.
- Act as the technical point of contact for our suppliers, building strong relationships and implementing improvement initiatives across tooling, build processes, quality processes, automation and driving operational improvements
- Develop strong working relationships with the SpaceX engineering, integration and production teams to ensure all company objectives can be met
- Contribute to design reviews, acting as an expert in design for manufacturability, design for testability, yield improvements, and supplier capabilities assessments
- Collaborate with sourcing team to strategically source parts matched with supplier competencies
- Analyze supplier quality and delivery metrics to identify trends and pinpoint systemic performance gaps and root causes
- Review and assess supplier manufacturing processes and quality systems to provide feedback as appropriate on manufacturing methods and technologies
- Recommend technical product improvements to reduce risk and potential defect opportunities
- Function as liaison between purchasing, engineering, manufacturing and our suppliers to resolve supplier quality issues and to provide technical support
- Be the primary point of contact for avionics engineering on non-conforming product; performing failure investigations, identifying root causes, and implementing corrective actions
- Manage supplier improvement plans
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of experience in supply chain, manufacturing or engineering
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Sensor fabrication, including photolithography, thin film depositions, etching and lift-off processes
- Sensing technologies, including navigation sensors, temperature sensors, pressure transducers, and gas sensors (oxygen, methane)
- Optical systems such as lidar and laser systems, cameras and star trackers, thermal imagers, or autonomous docking systems
- Special processes such as welding (electron beam, laser, resistance), wire bonding, application of adhesives, wet and dry etching, semiconductor fabrication, metal deposition, glass-to-metal seals
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in engineering or business
- Experience defining acceptance criteria, quality requirements, and logistical/packaging solutions for high precision sensors and related materials
- Experience containing/quarantining nonconforming product in a dynamic, fast-paced production environment
- Familiarity with J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610
- Experience in medium to high volume, high-complexity products and new product introduction
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes: production part approval process, advanced product quality planning, first article inspection reports
- SPC knowledge and experience applying statistical methods to track process capability
- Disciplined approach to problem solving
- Experience with MRP or ERP systems
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environment within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace, marine or automotive industries
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work extended hours and some nights and weekends when needed
- Ability to travel - up to 60-75% work week travel may be required, including international travel
- Valid driver’s license
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Supply Chain Engineer /Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Supply Chain Engineer /Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.