Firmware Engineer, Sensors (Avionics)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
FIRMWARE ENGINEER, SENSORS (AVIONICS)
The sensors development team works to design, test, and manufacture high-performance electronic sensors for the world's most advanced launch vehicles and spacecraft. The team is responsible for end-to-end development of application-specific sensor products to support critical rocket and spacecraft operations, systems, and control loops including propulsion, guidance, navigation, control, and environmental systems. We are seeking an experienced firmware engineer to support the development of advanced sensors.
- Responsible for architecting and developing firmware and algorithms
- Responsible for reviewing and testing firmware on a collaborative firmware development team
- Prototyping and implementation in C++, C, and Python
- Interface with and/or program microcontrollers for signal measurement, signal processing, and feedback control
- Design, simulate, and field test feedback control loops to support sensor applications
- Bachelors of science in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or computer science
- 1+ years of experience with electronic test equipment
- 1+ years of experience developing firmware for microcontrollers
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters of science in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or computer science
- 1+ years of experience developing firmware
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Knowledge of various sensing technologies available and experience developing firmware for such sensors
- Experience with RTOS and interrupt-driven firmware development
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
- Must be willing to travel < 20%
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Sensor Firmware Development Engineer/Level I: $120,000.00 - $145,000.00/per year
Sensor Firmware Development Engineer/Level II: $140,000.00 - $170,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.