Structures Design Engineer (Falcon)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
STRUCTURES DESIGN ENGINEER (FALCON)
As a Structures Design Engineer, your design work and assembly configuration management will contribute to new development and supporting our existing vehicle fleet. You will have the opportunity to work with your team and partner across teams on the Falcon program toward the successful flights of Falcon and Falcon Heavy.
- Design metallic structures and propulsion fluid systems under accelerated timelines
- Review specifications and other engineering data to develop mechanical systems
- Update designs and drawings through engineering change orders to support SpaceX's rapid pace of design iteration
- Create detailed component and assembly drawings incorporating an understanding of GD&T and tolerance stack-ups
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of mechanical design and drafting experience (including internships or personal projects)
- Experience with 3D CAD software (e.g. NX, Solidworks)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T and tolerance stack-ups
- Hands-on experience working in school club or project teams designing hardware in a highly constrained system under defined timelines
- Familiarity with welded structures and fluid systems
- Ability to manage large assembly models and drawings
- Ability to work and communicate well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and leadership
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together to achieve buy-in for a unified design direction
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills
- Must be available to work long hours and weekends as needed
- Willing to travel to various SpaceX sites (up to 25%)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Structures Design Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Structures Design Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.