Sr. Human Spaceflight Sales Manager
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. HUMAN SPACEFLIGHT SALES MANAGER
Expanding access to space travel for humans worldwide is a critical step in realizing our long-term plans of making life multiplanetary. While we hope to one day make space travel as attainable as a commercial airline flight, soaring on Dragon or Starship into space currently still requires significant coordination, planning, and financial resources. SpaceX is looking for an energic and experienced sales manager to help recruit more people, business ventures, and media endeavors from across the world to invest in the spaceflight experience.
As a senior sales manager, you will report to the Sr. Director of Private Astronaut Recruitment. You will be responsible for finding and recruiting individuals who are interested and can afford to train as a private astronaut. Our team will further enable human spaceflight missions by working with commercial business endeavors to explore the utilization of manned research and production in microgravity, or with media companies on opportunities to use our spacecraft as a venue and marketing platform. You will work with various internal teams to determine optimum channels for awareness including private events, conferences, partnerships, and other networking avenues. You will work with our engineering and customer management teams to shape missions as well as the pre- and post-flight customer experiences.
- Develop a sales pipeline and recruit private astronauts, including companies and research institutions, in both domestic and international markets to fly on Dragon initially, and then Starship.
- Identify and build relationships in one or more of the following networks: media, biotechnology, research institutions, or commercial destinations.
- Understand technical and programmatic needs to create and host pre- and post-sales customer experiences.
- Represent SpaceX in customer meetings, strategic events, and technical briefings.
- Gather customer requirements, and work with the product engineering team to iterate on and improve SpaceX product offerings.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 5+ years of experience with sales of multimillion-dollar products or services.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or an engineering discipline.
- 7+ years of experience networking/prospecting in one or more of the following channels: media, biotechnology, or research institutions.
- Passion for spaceflight and ability to compellingly communicate and share that vision with everyone from the newly found space enthusiast to established industry leaders.
- Ability to understand the product and service both technically and operational questions.
- Independently motivated professional with a demonstrated track record of pursuing and closing complex deals.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Available to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed to support closing sales opportunities.
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally, anticipated ~50%.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Pay range: $150,000.00 - $205,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
This position is also eligible for a sales bonus plan.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.