Industrial Engineer, Hardware Reliability (Starlink Product)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER, HARDWARE RELIABILITY (STARLINK PRODUCT)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 2M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe
As an Industrial Engineer on the Starlink Product team, you will be responsible for definition and execution of material flow, analyzing and optimizing material conveyance to support material handling, logistics, warehouse layouts, and processes related to operations of Starlink product returns. This individual builds the tools and metrics that are used across SpaceX to monitor field returns operations, and use those tools to help direct problem-solving activities. This individual will work with partner teams to identify and implement necessary improvements in logistics, ERP systems, operations, and automation to scale the returns operations as Starlink grows.
- Define and optimize warehouse layout, material flow, equipment, and inventory management to maximize returns throughput
- Define and develop department-level metrics and associated dashboards that quantify the health of our operations
- Create standard operating procedures and workflow to maximize workforce efficiency
- Perform capacity planning based on forecast (i.e. space, labor, equipment)
- Partner with logistics and regional distribution centers to set up and maintain returns root cause operations including layout, capacity analysis, standard operating procedures, and data analysis
- Conduct in-depth analysis through SQL queries and other data analysis methods to dive into problems and identify trends for decision-making
- Recommend updates to internal systems and data capture methods to ensure data integrity and/or effective analysis
- Ensure safety and ergo in all operations and processes
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, supply chain, or management information systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with inventory, production, and capacity planning (Including MRP/ERP systems)
- Demonstrated capability to jump into ill-defined problems and drive positive outcomes
- Experience in logistics and distribution
- Demonstrated capability to handle database structures and data retrieval with specific emphasis on SQL and Python
- Experience in a manufacturing environment, ideally in an assembly-driven area with high complexity and integration processes
- Experience with Tableau or other data visualization software
- Ability to forecast, analyze, and perform statistical data analysis
- Knowledge of lean and quality tools such as Process Mapping, Six Sigma, Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action, and various problem-solving approaches
- Dedicated to adopting a Lean approach to quality without compromising safety or reliability
- Demonstrated knowledge of process improvement in manufacturing environment
- Self-starter attitude, energy, and the ability to communicate effectively across business and technical discipline
- Ability to work extended hours, weekends, and offsite as needed
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Non-exempt Washington employees are eligible for sick leave in accordance with Washington's Sick Leave policies.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.