Sr. Backend Software Engineer (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. BACKEND SOFTWARE ENGINEER (STARLINK)
At SpaceX, we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 2M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
As a software engineer working in Starlink’s GNC (Guidance, Navigation, and Control) organization, you will use your distributed systems knowledge to build mission-critical systems that keep low-earth orbit safe. You’ll work on collision avoidance, maneuver coordination, and orbital prediction tools for the world’s largest spacecraft constellation. You’ll build analysis pipelines that allow engineers from other disciplines to better understand our fleet of satellites.
Our software engineers are responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software they create, including development, testing, and support.
- Develop highly reliable and available software systems for managing thousands of satellites in low-earth orbit.
- Participate in architecture, design, and code reviews.
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints.
- Collaborate with other engineers to plan and organize the development of our products.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline and +5 years of professional experience in software development; OR 7+ years of professional experience in software development in lieu of a degree.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with, or willingness to learn, Python, C++, and/or Golang
- Experience with distributed systems or large-scale consumer internet systems
- Production experience with containerization technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Understanding of version control, testing, continuous integration, build, deployment, and monitoring.
- Experience with profiling and improving application performance.
- Experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL, CockroachDB, or similar)
- Previous experience with satellites or spacecraft systems is a plus
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Software Engineer/Senior: $160,000.00 - $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k)-retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.