Sr. IC Packaging Thermal Engineer (Silicon Engineering)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. IC PACKAGING THERMAL ENGINEER (SILICON ENGINEERING)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to millions of users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
We are seeking a motivated, proactive, and intellectually curious engineer who will work alongside world-class cross-disciplinary teams (systems, firmware, architecture, design, validation, product engineering, and ASIC implementation). In this role, you will be:
- Architecting thermal solutions to address chip energy efficiency and performance scaling
- Providing thermal modeling solutions to the devices at silicon die and semiconductor package levels
- Optimizing advanced IC design scheme/floor-planning to ensure good thermal performance
- Developing detailed and reduced-order thermal models
- Analyzing simulation and measurement results to enhance product thermal management
Your primary responsibility is to work on developing thermal and mechanical models for IC packaging. You will be working as part of the Silicon Development team that enables new packaging technology as well as sustain existing packaging technology for Starlink applications. You will be a key team player working with several cross-functional teams and vendors.
- Develop IC package level mechanical Finite Element Models to characterize internal stress/strain in packages due to various package assembly related processes in order to ensure high yield
- Develop mechanical models to characterize the stress/strain and useful lifetime of the packages under highly accelerated reliability testing conditions
- Develop thermal models to characterize the package thermal resistance parameters such as Theta j-a, Theta j-c, Theta j-b, Psi j-t etc.
- Document all simulation models, codes and scripts and present the results to broader team
- Work with material suppliers and with material testing labs to characterize relevant material properties as needed for modeling
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years of professional experience in the field of solid mechanics, heat transfer and materials science
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. with 5+ years of professional experience, M.S. with 3+ years of professional experience or Ph.D. with 2+ year of professional experience
- Experience using Finite Element Analysis tools such as ANSYS (APDL & Workbench), ICEPAK, ABAQUS, FLOTHERM, COMSOL or other similar tools
- Experience with IC packaging modeling & simulation with exposure to packaging failure analysis
- Experience in simulating IC packaging assembly steps such as die attach, wire-bonding, underfilling, lid attaching, over-molding, materials curing and reliability testing conditions such as drop/shock, thermal cycling, cyclic bend etc.
- Experience in simulation and characterization of IC packaging thermal resistance parameters as defined in JEDEC standards
- Solid understanding of various electronic packaging technologies (SiP, MCM, WLCSP, Dual-sided packages etc.), structures and processes
- Experience with integration schemes using lidless, stiffener, lidded package, vapor cooling, etc.
- Experience with materials testing/characterization and thermal testing
- Experience with the various package level thermal solutions such as polymer TIM, graphite TIM, indium TIM, and liquid metal TIM
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends to meet critical deadlines, as needed
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Thermal Engineer/Senior: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.