Software Engineering Intern (Summer 2024)
The Boring Company
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2023
The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
As a Software Engineering Intern you will be responsible for helping build a completely new underground transportation system: the Las Vegas Loop. Every day we perform thousands of rides and collect gigabytes of data: within this role, you will primarily focus on designing and developing tools for collecting, analyzing and displaying insightful data and graphs for the Las Vegas Loop.
- Implement reliable and scalable Web services to monitor the Las Vegas Loop
- Improve Loop operational efficiency by deploying web tools for various teams at The Boring Company
- Formulate statistical metrics to evaluate the Las Vegas Loop performance
- Develop and deploy web tools to display such performance metrics
- Clearly document and communicate design proposals
- Support the Las Vegas Loop during hours of operations, eventually during weekends or holidays when necessary
- High School diploma or GED and currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent field
- Prior experience in software development projects (industry or school)
- Proficiency in 2 or more coding languages
- Experience with Web Technologies: HTML, CSS, JS, Node.js and at least one of jQuery, React, Angular, Vue or similar
- Understanding of how to develop Web APIs including concepts such as REST
- Familiar with communication protocols, such as HTTP, TCP, UDP
- Solid mathematics and statistics fundamentals
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Ability to quickly adapt to new projects and learn new languages, technologies and concepts under tight time constraints
- Experience with Python
- Understanding of networking
- Experience with Computer Science competitions such as The International Olympiad in Informatics or Not-a-Boring-Competition
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.